Robert R. Leben
Research Associate Professor
of Aerospace Engineering Sciences
University of Colorado, Boulder
My primary expertise is in satellite altimetry and its application to ocean
circulation monitoring. I am also interested in computational fluid dynamics
and digital signal processing techniques and their application to problems in
geophysical fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.
Archival Journal Publications
- Sturges, W. and R. Leben, 2000
- "Frequency of ring separations from the Loop Current in the Gulf of
Mexico'' J. Phys. Oceanog., Vol. 30, pp. 1814-1819.
- Biggs, D. C., R. R. Leben and J. G. Ortega-Ortiz, 2000
- "Ship and satellite studies of mesoscale circulation and sperm whale
habitats in the northeast Gulf of Mexico during GulfCet II'' Gulf of Mexico
Science, 2000(1), pp. 15-22.
- R. D. Hetland, Y. Hsueh, R. R. Leben, and P. P. Niiler, 1999
- "A Loop Current-induced jet along the edge of the West Florida
Shelf.'' Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 15, pp. 2239-2242.
- T. Georges, J. Harlan, T. Lee and R. Leben, 1998
- "Observations of the Florida Current with two over-the-horizon radars."
Radio Science, Vol. 33(4), pp. 1227-1239, 1998.
- J. E. Hart, B. Adler and R. Leben, 1998
- "Cyclonic/anticyclonic gyre local asymmetries: Laboratory and
intermediate model experiments." Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans,
27(1-4), pp 219-232.
- T. Georges, J. Harlan, R. Leben and R. Lematta, 1998
- "Ocean surface currents mapped with over-the-horizon HF radar."
IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 101-110.
- D. Biggs, R. Zimmerman, R. Gasca, E. Su-Elrez, I. Castellanos and R.
- "Note on plankton and cold-core rings in the Gulf of Mexico."
Fish. Bull., Vol. 95, pp. 369-375.
- D. Biggs, G. Fargion, P. Hamilton and R. Leben, 1996
- "Cleavage of a Gulf of Mexico Loop Current eddy by a deep water
cyclone." J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101, pp. 20,629-20,642.
- M. Zulauf, J. E. Hart, R. Leben and M. Mundt, 1996
- "Local instability in a periodically forced sliced cylinder."
Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, Vol. 25, pp. 87-107.
- J. Hendricks, R. Leben, G. Born and C. Koblinsky, 1996
- "EOF analysis of global TOPEX/POSEIDON data and implications for
detection of global sea level rise." J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101,
- Y. Yu, W. J. Emery and R. Leben, 1995
- "Satellite altimeter derived geostrophic currents in the western
tropical Pacific during 1992-93 and their validation with drifting buoy
trajectories." J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 100, pp. 25069-25086.
- J. Lillibridge, R. Leben and F. Vossepoel, 1997
- "Real-time altimetry from ERS-2,Proc. 3rd ERS Symp., Florence, Italy,
created and maintained by Bob